January 2, 2013 by twodogjam
A great salad to make if you’re asked to ‘bring a salad’. Easy to do, and looks impressive. And a fail safe recipe. Can be made the day before needed and kept in the fridge in a plastic container. Just bring out about an hour before it’s needed so that it warms up to room temperature.
I have tried other peperonata recipes, but they have never been as good, and as easy, as this one. Great with the barbecued lamb recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil
- 4 large red capsicum (red pepper), quartered, deseeded and sliced into strips lengthways
- 2 red onions, remove skin and cut into eights
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Put all the ingredients into a large casserole dish or saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Be careful when you’re cooking that it doesn’t catch and burn on the bottom.