December 26, 2012 by twodogjam
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s a simple one if you have unexpected guests. No pre-planning, just a quick trip to the supermarket, or just the roast chicken shop if you have all the other ingredients. We slightly modify Donna Hay’s original recipe by adding some small new (or chat) potatoes.
- 1 store-bought barbecue roast chicken
- 6-8 small new or chat potatoes, washed and cut into half
- 6 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1 small cos or iceberg lettuce, separate leaves and roughly chop
Remove the skin from the chicken and discard. Break the chicken up at the joints to remove the legs and wings. Keep the legs and wings for lunch another day. Remove the chicken breast from the bone. Shred the chicken meat into bite size pieces with your hands and put into a large bowl.
Cook the potatoes in a pan of salted water for about 5-8 minutes until tender. Drain and add to the shredded chicken in the bowl.
Put the celery and parsley into the bowl with the chicken and potatoes and toss all ingredients to combine.
In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper to combine. Pour the lemon mayonnaise over the chicken mixture. Toss well to combine so that the chicken and potatoes are coated with lemon mayonnaise.
Put the shredded lettuce onto plates and top with the chicken mixture.
Serves 2-4 depending on how hungry you are. And what you don’t eat, put into a plastic container into the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch or dinner.